The purpose of the Education Specialist (Ed.S.) concentration in Community College & University Leadership (CCUL) is to prepare persons for upper-level administration and leadership positions in colleges and universities. The program integrates theory and practice to enable graduates to address the diverse and complex demands of leadership in today's rapidly changing educational environments, to prepare for a doctoral program, and to advance their careers.
Students in the Ed.S. concentration enroll as part of a cohort and take classes together over the course of the program. The Fall 2018 cohort will be online with two class meetings on weeknights or weekends.
The Ed.S. degree in Higher Education requires coursework totaling 30 credit hours. The following courses are required for the concentration in Community College & University Leadership:
- HE 6040: Readings in Postsecondary Education
- HE 6320: Institutional Effectiveness
- HE 6330: Organizing for Learning and Diversity
- RES 6000: Advanced Research Methods, Design and Application
- HE 6340: Policy Analysis
- HE 6350: Leading Organizational Change in HE
- HE 6360: Organizational Analysis in HE
- HE 6840: Personnel Policy & Practice in HE
- 2 Electives
Other requirements for completion of the degree include:
- An Admission to Candidacy form needs to be submitted by the time the student has completed 12 hours of coursework.
- Written Comprehensive Exam: Student must successfully complete a take-home written comprehensive examination.
Education Specialist to Doctorate Advantage
Through another of its graduate programs, App State offers a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) degree in Educational Leadership. This is a terminal degree for leaders in both K-12 and postsecondary settings. In the summer of 2014, an articulation agreement was reached between the Higher Education Graduate Program and the Educational Leadership Program to allow up to 30 hours from the EDS-CCUL concentration to transfer into the doctoral program.
For More Information
- For information about applying to the program, click here.
- Graduate Bulletin (2016-2017)
- For information about program scholarships, click here.
- For more information about the Ed.S. program, contact Dr. Vachel Miller, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-2280.
- For information about ASU's distance education cohorts, contact email@example.com or 828-262-3113.