Admission into the Higher Education program at Appalachian State University is based on the faculty's appraisal of applicants' likelihood of being successful in the program, contributing to the learning of other students, and contributing to the larger field of higher education.
- M.A. degree requires a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Ed.S. degree requires a master's degree from an accredited college or university
- Transcripts from all colleges attended
- GRE or MAT (official scores must be submitted; scores must be no more than 5 years old)
- 3 references
Higher Education Application Checklist (PDF, 43 KB)
Deadlines for Application
- Fall Term: June 1 (priority deadline is April 1)
- NOTE: Interviews for Graduate Assistantships in the Division of Student Development are held in February. Applications are due in January.
- Spring Term: November 1 (priority deadline is October 1)
- Summer Term: April 1 (priority deadline is March 1)
Distance Education Cohorts:
- Vary by cohort
Basic Conditions for Consideration of Admission
- 3.0 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores from the GRE or MAT
- 2.5 GPA in the last earned degree and official scores at the 25th percentile level or above from the GRE or MAT
Meeting or exceeding the conditions above does NOT guarantee admission. All applications for a given entry term will be weighed based upon the number of seats available and the quality of the complete application packages. Both qualitative and quantitative aspects of applications are reviewed in comparison to the current applicant pool. With special permission from the Graduate School, a program may admit a limited number of students with exceptional circumstances who do not meet the graduate school minimums.
To start an application, click here.
For More Information
- To see the Graduate Bulletin (2016-2017) program description and requirements, click here.
- For information about the M.A. and Ed.S. programs, contact Dr. Vachel Miller, Program Director at email@example.com or 828-262-2280.
- For information about ASU's distance education cohorts, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-3113.