Online Cohort for the MA in Higher Education Starting Fall 2019
- Preference will be given to applications submitted by April 1, 2019. Other applications may be accepted until July 1 or when the cohort is filled.
- Contact Dr. Vachel Miller, Program Director at email@example.com or 828-262-2280 for more information.
Accepting Applications for MA Program on Campus
- Fall Enrollment: April 1 (priority)/July 1
- Spring Enrollment: Oct 1 (priority)/Nov 1
- Summer Enrollment: Apr 1 (priority)/May 1
The Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Higher Education provides 36 semester hours of graduate work to prepare individuals for mid- and upper-level positions in postsecondary education. This degree is for individuals interested in beginning or advancing careers in higher or adult education and provides opportunities for students to explore and apply research and theory to the complex contexts of today's educational environments. Students in the program select from one of the following three concentrations:
- Community College & University Leadership (offered on the Main Campus and through App State Online)
- Adult & Developmental Education (offered through App State Online)
- Teaching (offered on the Main Campus)
*Note: The M.A. in Higher Education is a non-licensure program and does not lead to NC K-12 teaching, administration, or supervision licensure.
Student Learning Goals
Upon completion of the M.A. program, graduates will be able to:
- Access and apply relevant theory, research, and/or scholarly literature to inform professional practice in higher education.
- Think critically and creatively to find legal, ethical, and innovative solutions to problems facing higher education.
- Communicate in a professional manner, expressing and supporting ideas clearly through written, oral, and visual media and employing appropriate technology.
- Develop and manage systems that support the mission of the institution, especially as it affects nontraditional and underrepresented populations.
- Respond proactively to the impacts of globalization on higher education in the United States and internationally
- Organize effective adult learning environments and experiences for students, colleagues, and self.
- Collect, organize, and interpret various types of data and evidence to inform decisions and address accountability requirements.
For More Information
- For information about applying to the program, click here.
- To see the Graduate Bulletin (2018-2019) program description and requirements, click here.
- For information about program scholarships, click here.
- For more information about the M.A. program, contact Dr. Vachel Miller, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-2280.
- For information about ASU's distance education cohorts, contact email@example.com or 828-262-3113.