- Preference will be given to applications submitted by February 1, 2022. Other applications may be accepted until July 1 or when the cohort is filled.
- Contact Dr. Stacey Garrett, Program Director at email@example.com or 828-262-3112 for more information.
Accepting Applications for MA Program On Campus and Online
- Fall Enrollment: February 1 (priority deadline)/July 1 (final deadline)
- Spring Enrollment: (Main Campus non-degree only) November 1
The Master of Arts (M.A.) degree in Higher Education provides 36 semester hours of graduate work to prepare individuals for mid-and upper-level positions in postsecondary education. This degree is for individuals interested in beginning or advancing careers in higher or adult education and provides opportunities for students to explore and apply research and theory to the complex contexts of today's educational environments. Students in the program select from one of the following three concentrations:
- Community College & University Leadership (offered on the Main Campus and through App State Online)
- Adult & Developmental Education (offered through App State Online)
- Teaching (offered on the Main Campus)
*Note: The M.A. in Higher Education is a non-licensure program and does not lead to NC K-12 teaching, administration, or supervision licensure.
Student Learning Goals
Upon completion of the M.A. program, graduates will be able to:
- Access and apply relevant theory, research, and/or scholarly literature to inform professional practice in higher education.
- Think critically and creatively to find legal, ethical, and innovative solutions to problems facing higher education.
- Communicate in a professional manner, expressing and supporting ideas clearly through written, oral, and visual media and employing appropriate technology.
- Develop and manage systems that support the mission of the institution, especially as it affects nontraditional and underrepresented populations.
- Respond proactively to the impacts of globalization on higher education in the United States and internationally
- Organize effective adult learning environments and experiences for students, colleagues, and self.
- Collect, organize, and interpret various types of data and evidence to inform decisions and address accountability requirements.
For More Information
- For information about applying to the program, click here.
- Graduate Bulletin
- For information about program scholarships, click here.
- For information about the M.A. program, contact Dr. Stacey Garrett, Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-3112.
- For information about the Ed.S. and Graduate Certificate programs, Contact Dr. Krista Wojdak at email@example.com or(828) 262-6052.
- For information about ASU's distance education cohorts, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-262-3113.