Community College & University Leadership (455G)
The purpose of this Education Specialist (Ed.S.) concentration is to prepare persons for upper-level administration and leadership positions in colleges and universities. The program integrates theory and practice to enable graduates to address the diverse and complex demands of leadership in today's rapidly changing educational environments, to prepare for a doctoral program, and to advance their careers.
Students in the Ed.S. concentration enroll as part of a cohort and take classes together over the course of the program. Cohorts are formed periodically on ASU's Main Campus (Boone) and regularly on North Carolina community college campuses.
- Proposed Catawba County cohort to start Fall 2014.
- To view a Powerpoint presentation about the cohort, click here.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed until JULY 1 or the cohort fills, whichever comes first.
- Forsyth County (Fall 2013-Spring 2015)
- Boone Campus (Fall 2012-Spring 2014)
The Ed.S. degree in Higher Education requires coursework totaling 30 credit hours. The following courses are required for the concentration in Community College & University Leadership:
- HE 6040: Readings in Postsecondary Education
- HE 6320: Institutional Effectiveness
- HE 6330: Organizing for Learning and Diversity
- RES 6000: Advanced Research Methods, Design and Application
- HE 6340 Policy Analysis
- HE 6350 Leading Organizational Change in HE
- HE 6360 Organizational Analysis in HE
- HE 6840 Personnel Policy & Practice in HE
- 2 Electives
Other requirements for completion of the degree include:
- An Admission to Candidacy form [PDF] needs to be submitted by the time the student has completed 12 hours of coursework.
- Written Comprehensive Exam: Student must successfully complete a take-home written comprehensive examination.
For More Information
- For information about applying to the program, click here.
- Graduate Bulletin (2013-2014)
- For information about program scholarships, click here.
For more information about the Ed.S. program, contact Dr. Amy Trawick, Program Director at email@example.com or 828-262-2137.
For information about ASU's distance education cohorts, contact Bronwen Sheffield at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-355-4084.